Welcome to PAULAYOO.COM Version 2.0!
April 26, 2011: Welcome to paulayoo.com 2.0! The redesigned website has been updated for 2011! I’m excited to tell you all about the new changes…
NEW HOMEPAGE: You will notice my website’s homepage has a new layout. It features three main sections…
– “YOO INK”: This is a short summary that I will update on a regular basis. It will feature headlines about my latest blogs and breaking news about my books, music, and TV show episodes. Consider Yoo Ink your guide to the latest updates on my website.
– GOOGLE CALENDAR: This calendar will feature the latest latest book/writing events, music gigs, and when my latest TV show episodes will air. Plus any other fun calendar events I will want to celebrate, such as all the birthdays of the members of Duran Duran. 🙂
– TWITTER FEED: You will see live tweet updates from my main Twitter page (@paulayoo). I also humbly ask that you please follow my cat Oreo’s Twitter page (@oreothecatyoo). You will see tons of cute pics of Oreo and younger siblings Beethoven & Charlotte!
PAULA YOO BLOG: The new website now has a “BLOG” link that takes you to a redesigned WordPress blog. Please click on the “BLOG” link to read my latest blogs about my adventures in writing, books, TV, and music. Plus shamelessly self-indulgent postings about my three cats Oreo, Beethoven & Charlotte and any random pop culture musings/rants when I am procrastinating.
“NAPIBOWRIWEE” BLOG: Please click on the “NaPiBoWriWee” link to participate in the 3rd annual National Picture Book Writing Week from May 1-7, 2011. I’ll post NaPiBoWriWee-centri blogs daily (including special guest author blogs) and I welcome participant comments!
This year’s NaPiBoWriWee event officially begins at midnight on Sunday May 1, 2010 and ends at 11:59 p.m. on Saturday May 7th.
For those of you who are a little confused by “NaPiBoWriWee,” here is a brief explanation below. (All future NaPiBoWriWee-centric news and blogs will be posted on the specific “NaPiBoWriWee” link.)
THE HISTORY OF NAPIBOWRIWEE: In the spirit of National Novel Writing Month (“NaNoWriMo”) where people across the country try to write a complete novel in one month, I decided to start the first ever National Picture Book Writing Week, affectionately nicknamed “NaPiBoWriWee,” back in 2009.
The goal? To write 7 picture books in 7 days.
The first NapiBoWriWee 2009 was a staggering success. I was shocked by how many excited and enthusiastic picture book writers – both novices AND published veterans – participated! We had several hundred participants from all over the country AND the world – from from Hong Kong to Japan to Korea to England, France, and even Australia!
PRIZE GIVEAWAY RANDOM DRAWING INFORMATION: For those of you who participate in this year’s NaPiBoWriWee, I will select several winners at random on the 7th day – those winners will receive an autographed copy of my picture books, “SHINING STAR: THE ANNA MAY WONG STORY” (Lee & Low Books, 2009) and “SIXTEEN YEARS IN SIXTEEN SECONDS: THE SAMMY LEE STORY” (Lee & Low ’05).
Winners will also receive fun prizes from our NaPiBoWriWee Store and some autographed books from famous picture book published authors to be announced soon!
If you would like to participate in the random prize drawing, please send your full name and email address to paula at paulayoo dot com. I will include your name for the prize drawing.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE: Simply bookmark this NaPiBoWriWee blog and check back daily for updated blogs featuring writing advice and blogs from special guest authors. Please feel free to comment on the blogs – I want to encourage a forum in which we all support each other and keep each other updated on our NaPiBoWriWee progress!
NAPIBOWRIWEE STORE: Don’t forget to check out our NaPiBoWriWee Store – we have new 2011 designs for t-shirts, notebooks, buttons, coffee mugs, mousepads etc. as a way to encourage you to keep writing!
1. Midnight May 1st to 11:59 p.m. May 7th: Write 7 separate and complete picture books.
2. You are NOT allowed to write the same picture book in 7 variations. Each book must be complete and separate.
3. No minimum word count. Instead, each book must have a clear beginning, middle and end.
4. You are allowed to brainstorm and research book topics before May 1st. Outlines are acceptable. First draft writing is NOT. Do NOT write your books before May 1st – only brainstorming, taking notes, and outlining are allowed.
5. You are NOT allowed to write a single word of your draft until midnight May 1st.
6. There is NO minimum word count required. The fine folks of NaPiBoWriWee require nothing but your word of honor. We will embrace the Honor Code. If you say you have written 7 complete picture book drafts in 7 days, we will believe you. Besides, why would you lie to us? You’re writing picture books for little children! Picture Book Authors are nice, honest people who would never lie!
7. If you plan to blog about your NaPiBoWriWee journey, please include a link to: https://paulayoo.com/
8. Several winners will be chosen from random of all the people who participate. Winners will receive an autographed copy of my books “SHINING STAR: THE ANNA MAY WONG STORY” (Lee & Low Books 2009) and “SIXTEEN YEARS IN SIXTEEN SECONDS: THE SAMMY LEE STORY” (Lee & Low ’05), along with items from our NapiBoWriWee Store and a couple of surprise autographed book prizes from special guest authors! Please email me (paula at paulayoo dot com) with your full name and email address so I can include you in the drawing.
9. Please do NOT send me your picture book manuscripts. This is NOT a writing contest. We are just supporting each other as we attempt to write 7 picture books in 7 days! I encourage everyone to visit my NaPiBoWriWee blog every day for blogs filled with writing advice and special guest author editorials. You are encouraged to comment each day on my NaPiBoWriWee blog as we form a fun community of friends encouraging each other to keep writing!
10. For those of you attending the national Society of Children Book Writers & Illustrators (http://scbwi.org/) conference in August, let me know and I’ll arrange for an informal gathering during the conference so we can meet in person and celebrate our first NaPiBoWriWee!
NEW WEBSITE LAYOUT: Finally, please browse around and enjoy the new user-friendly links to my books, bio, and music information. Stay tuned for new blogs updated regularly here and at the “NaPiBoWriWee” blog.
Welcome to the new paulayoo.com! Happy Writing! WRITE LIKE YOU MEAN IT!
love the new site! congrats and good luck with NaNoPiBoWriWee!
THANKS Jordanna! Really appreciate your kind comment! My webmaster Greg did a brilliant job.
Congrats on the new site. Looking forward to participating in NaPiBoWriWee this year. Can’t seem to leave comments over at that blog. Keep getting a message that I need to be logged in. 🙁
Thanks Cheryl and looking forward to having you for this year’s NaPiBoWriWee! I have not had a chance yet to approve the latest NaPiBoWriWee comments, so maybe that is why you have to log in. Let me do that now and report back if you are still having problems. Thanks.
As I mentioned in my blog entry about NaPiBoWriWee – http://teresarobeson.blogspot.com/2011/04/napibowriwee.html – I still haven’t made up my mind whether I can make the time to do it. I want to though!
Is your adorable cat one of the prizes? 😉
Awww thanks so much for your kind blog! 🙂 You should join us. Some folks only get ONE picture book done in 7 days, some get ZERO done. But the whole point is that you TRY. 🙂 And if you walk away with a couple of ideas or half a draft, that’s better than not trying at all, right? 🙂 Don’t worry, have fun and at least try! 🙂 As for my cats, they say meow to you! 🙂
Ok, twist my rubber arm! 😉 Guess I’ll go send you my info… Meow back to the kitties!
Yaay! A larger avatar picture. Makes me want to chill out and watch AVATAR on my decompression Sunday. 🙂
wow… I forgot about the smiley face conversion. That’s a little scary when you look at them out of context.
🙂 🙂 🙂 LOL!
Comments are closed.